Sunday, October 13, 2013

Woo. She is on a roll people!


So, I haven't figured out how I will back track but I suppose I have to start somewhere. Lesson well learnt that is for sure. In March 2013, I packed my bags and set off to Korea, moving abroad was a long time coming to be honest. If anything the hardest decision to make was leaving a early childhood centre that had contributed to who I am today. I knew I was ready to move on, the million dollar question was where! EtonHouse Korea came into the picture, although Korea was not even an option for me, I knew the history of EtonHouse Singapore so my expectation was pretty satisfied. Not to sound snobby as such, but after being at a quality centre that drives the importance of early childhood education where you are living and breathing it everyday, I was looking for schools that spoke a vision that related to mine.

My Nursery class of 2-3 year olds are a delight, although there were challenges at first. . Obviously transition is different everywhere you go, but here the first day was literally the children's FIRST day. You can imagine the tears, doubt and worry that was expressed for the first few weeks! All understandable feelings from children whom didn't really know what was going on. Not only did they have to build a sense of trust with us, but had to adapt to a whole new environment, routine of life and this place called "school" . . Just like that? Not to mention a foreign teacher whom speaks "just English". I remember TG (3 years old) who said to her mum, Ms Hanna can speak English and not Korean, but how come Ms Chloe (co-teacher) can speak Korean and English? A very bold statement, where I will share more of TG's insightful perspectives as time goes on. 

So for the first few weeks, our main focus was establishing relationships with these children. Looking back, I can say how crazy and mad it was amongst all the crying, separation anxiety, reassurance with families and did I mention crying? Many times I pondered . . what have I got myself into! However 8 months on, I can honestly say what a change. The process has had its ups and downs, but it's hard to think the children that walked into our class 8 months ago are the confident, loud, question seeking, curious, creative and unique individuals they are today.

I learnt that resilience was paramount to ensuring sanity remained cool, calm and collected. Flexibility to adapt to whatever situation you are faced with in any part of the world. I know Korea is only the beginning, but boy did it ever leave a stamp in my memory that I will never forget! I can also say that 8 months into my 1 year contract, we have had to let our directors know whether we will be staying on for another year. It is public knowledge that I am finishing my contract in Feb 2014 and continuing with this international venture. 


2 comments:

Jo said...

The biggest journey starts with a step ... Just put one foot in front of the other and I believe if you're headed in the direction your heart pulls you 'll be just fine. Just want you to know we're here for you Hanna.

NaketaNZ said...

Great to see you blogging again. You are so thoughtful and reflective. Bring on the next adventure.