Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Hilltop Pre-School, Seattle




It is the supreme art of the teacher to awaken joy in creative expression and knowledge.

Albert Einstein


Hilltop Pre-School
Seattle, US
www.hilltopcc.com


(This has been written with thoughts from my colleague Jen Boyd)
Walking into Hilltop Pre-School, I stood in awe at this environment before me. What were enclosed behind the curved walls of wonder I thought. I looked around in anticipation trying to sponge in the surroundings before me. It was almost like a ‘silent’ language, wanting to explode into a 100 more languages through a multitude of ways.

Therefore I ponder and question . . . “if the environment is the third teacher, what language does it speak? “A hundred ways of marveling, of loving  . . . a hundred joys?” (Loris Malaguzzi)
How does our environment reflect our values and beliefs as teachers? . . . . . Wow, you really get a sense of your anticipation and your connection with the environment in terms of your understanding of Reggio inspired values - that other quote from Malaguzzi rings true: “It has been said that the environment should act as a kind of aquarium which reflects the ideas, ethics, attitudes and culture of the people who live in it.” (Jen)







Teacher’s Reflection
The Hilltop environment paints a picture as soon as you walk through the doors, curiosity lingers, eyes wander. You want to gain a deeper insight through the lens of a child, but how? A week to embrace such an opportunity, to question and ponder those floating thoughts. I often think, I am probably going to come out with more questions than answers.
“Sometimes questions, are more important than the answers” Nancy Willard.

Change is something I often think we protect ourselves from and for so long, this process of thought is undeniably challenging to do. How do we encompass change for the better? encourage others to be inspired by the work we love to do, and spread the message that the Reggio approach is not a way of doing, but is only “one” approach to take into your cultural context and plant your “own” seed. Make those possibilities a potential and gain a sense of wonderment for beginning something that you hope will remain a legacy.  That’s a really insightful theory and is the same that I felt echoed within the walls of the Loris Malaguzzi Centre in Reggio Emilia...A legacy of creativity, innovation and humanity.

This is something that stands so strongly to me, having spent time at Hilltop Pre-School. I feel humbled to have been apart of a school whom drives for quality education of society’s most youngest citizens. A place where children are valued and recognised as capable and competent learners. The motivation is stemmed from the provocation that teachers share and this is clearly reflected in the teaching and learning at Hilltop Pre-School.
Children as Lifetime Lovers of Learning
Our program is inspired by children’s curiosity and natural inclination to learn through play. Teachers observe children’s play and listen carefully to children’s questions so they may support emergent projects and creations that come directly from the children instead of the teachers.” (Hilltop Pre-School)

So what has this NZ ece teacher taken away from this experience? Well, where to begin! I have been challenged more so, to keep striving for that depth of knowledge with pedagogical documentation. Questioning thoughts that underlie those decisions of who we are as teachers, learners and researchers.
Reflect constantly on my professional practice and aim to uphold not only my image of the child, but most importantly my ‘image of the teacher’.

I have been influenced and hugely inspired by Hilltop’s “collaborative conferences” between families and teachers. I would love to build on pursuing further involvement with our own families on a deeper level with a bridge of a combined understanding of their children’s learning and having further open ended collaborative engagement.
"Collaborative conferences are an element of children’s in-depth explorations and project work. Once an investigation is underway with a small group of children, teachers invite those children’s families to come together to learn about and plan for the children’s work". (Hilltop Pre-School)
I really support this initiative - hearing you talk about it today was exciting and full of realistic possibility for us at Tots - especially in that investigative journey being undertaken by the Kiwi Room at the moment.

To the faculty team at Hilltop Pre-School
Thank you for being apart of my ever growing learning journey, I have only been more intrigued by the work you do and the wonders of space you create for your children and families. Each day has been very enlightening and most curious as to what I was going to expect in each of the rooms I visited, it was an exciting time to arrive ready for the next Hilltop adventure.

The on-going dialogue between the team of teachers and the admin staff each week is a way that keeps that connectedness of the school as one, and I love that it is a time for teachers to share stories, views and issues in an open and collegial way.

To be able to look through the lens of an international visitor has been such an opportunity and I am hugely grateful to you all for welcoming me into your space as part of the team. As we look to Reggio Emilia for those inspiring ways, I know that Hilltop is a place where I feel even more fuelled with new ideas, challenges and literally more questions!
The core of Hilltop comes from the hearts and minds of the teachers and this is reflected in your teaching values as such passionate and proud advocates. I know I have come away with memories that will always embrace and probe my thinking.

A special mention to our Seattle colleagues Meg McNulty & family, Sandra Floyd and Margie Carter for your awesomeness and helping make this all possible and Michele McLean for hosting me in my last days at Hilltop. We shall “Roxaboxen” and that’s a deal! 



Sandra Floyd and I 
Hanna,
Thank you so much for sharing this with me on ‘google docs’. You speak/write from the heart, and it jumps out from the pages of this reflection. It sounds like you had such an inspiring and thought-provoking time at Hilltop, giving me an insight into your time there that sounds so valuable in terms of personal pedagogy. I am still unpacking the depth of knowledge I gained from visiting Reggio Emilia - and this has reinforced the importance of these global opportunities in education. Together I hope that our passionate belief in children and a holistic view of education and citizenship can play a part in positive change. Kudos to you my inspiring co-teacher, friend and mentor.

Jen Boyd

No comments: