Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Exploring Vancouver



Heading to Vancouver from Seattle was looking to be a bit of a challenge, first of all the train I was suppose to be catching had apparently sold out. I had not looked at any other form of transportation besides the train as I was pretty adement that it was going to be my only transportation to Vancouver. I didn't really have a plan b in place and I cringed at the thought of a bus, I know I know -  sounds a bit melodramatic, but I'm a bit of a landscape admirer and to miss all that whilst on a bus would not have been cool! 
However after talking with some very lovely Seattle friends, the next best thing was the ferry line, I was sold before I had even learnt of the adventure ahead. 


Bearing the cold early Sunday morning, off I headed to the ferry terminal. I wasn't actually going direct to Vancouver, but via the capital of British Columbia, Victoria Island! How exciting it was turning out to be, I was glad in a way the train's were sold out otherwise I would have not been able to see this stunning, yet subtle little island on my way to Vancouver - not to mention the views. It was still unknown how I was going to get there via Victoria Island though. . . 




Walking to the bus station, blue skies swarmed the city with a pinch of sunshine that beamed brightly reflecting the island's warm atmosphere. Setting sail onto another ferry whilst on the bus, I was spoilt with more scenic views of pulchritude. The shades of icy colored blue sea and surrounding trees on the non living habitant islands were very photographic. 
Victoria Island was a fleeting visit, yet I'm glad I got a short insight into this small town. I have to say although the ferry ride from one country to another was rather pricey, it was well worth every penny! 

BC Ferry 

Vancouver is known for their love of extreme sports and this was obvious with the amount of people at Stanley Park on a sunday afternoon. The Norwegian Pearl cruise ship was departing for Alaska at that exact time, if my eyes could pop out, they probably would looking at the size of that thing! 


Norwegian Pearl Cruise Ship 






The remains of trees that were blown down from the huge storm in 2006 were still visible as you drove around Stanley Park. More trees have grown over the years filling up the damage left behind by one of the worse storms in Vancouver's history. 




The Hollow Tree is a landmark and
artifact of significant local and national cultural value
 
The many cargo ships from around the world anchor far out at sea until their is space for them to move in. The times I went passed, it seemed that they hadn't even moved from the previous day. Apparently they can be at sea for days at a time pending on when a terminal space becomes available. They looked liked statues and the only movement was the sea around them. 

A typical late aftenoon
Cargo ships at sea 
The Museum of Anthropology (MOA) originated in the basement of the main UBC library in 1949, today the museum is given full compliment in their location which overlooks mountains and the sea. The architectual design of this building speaks for itself and signifies such a prominent piece of structure. 



Such Serenity
Just needed a picnic mat and book, afternoon complete.
Garden of MOA


MOA is home to an outstanding collection of archaeological objects, totem poles and acknowledgement of descendants history. The cultures enriching stories speak words of value with a sense of belonging in knowing that their enriching history have a place in this country. 



The other highlight of my time in Vancouver would probably have to be the Suspension Bridge with Laurie and Joanne. Noted as one of the most longest suspensions bridges in the world since 1899. Over the years additional experiences have been added like the treetops adventure and the cliff walk. If you are not a heights person, or someone who gets motion sickness then you may want to boycott the suspension bridge, unless you want a thrilling challenge. . . it really isn't *that* bad though! 





Historical totem poles & a timeline of Capilano himself.
Whoa, here goes!
Note: No jumping or running as you go along the bridge. 

Capilano River 
Treetops walk way
(nothing on the suspension bridge!) 
Great to be amongst the tree tops and feel part
of the forest in an adventurous way! 
I saw more then expected within the time frame I had for Vancouver

squeezing in a diner lunch, china town and gas town walk to see a couple get married near the steam clock. Huge thanks to Katannya for being a fantastic host and tour guide. 



Next Pit Stop - A few days off in San Francisco & Las Vegas 
Each destination is not complete without that mexican meal
& margarita!

No comments: